Homemade and refined sugar free treat
I’ve been playing with a few ideas recently to come up with a homemade and refined sugar free treat for a friend who needs to avoid refined sugar for health reasons. To be honest, I reckon most of us could do with cutting down on the sweet stuff. But there are those afternoons when I really crave a sweet snack. It needs to be yummy, satisfying but also quick to make and I think I have found the answer: coconut and blueberry scones!
Now, they may be a little more cake-like than traditional scones but they are super tasty, even the next day. Trust me, I tried ☺️
There are lots of options for these, including making them fully vegan and using other fruits too. Simply go with what you prefer and have to hand.
Ingredients (makes 5 – 6 scones)
1/3 cup coconut flour
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
4 tbsp coconut oil, melted (or use melted butter)
2 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 4 tbsp water (if vegan, double the amount and omit the eggs)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp granulated Stevia or honey (or agave nectar if preferred/vegan)
A handful of blueberries, frozen is fine
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the eggs with the melted coconut oil (or butter, if using).
- Now add all the other ingredients and stir carefully to combine. The coconut flour absorbs liquid really quickly, so you should soon have a dough.
- Divide the dough into 5 or 6 dough balls and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to rest and cool on a wire rack.