Quick & easy: a simple sauce recipe
Sometimes all we need is a simple recipe for a kitchen basic and this quick & easy white sauce ticks all the boxes.
I love how versatile this white sauce is! It is suitable for non-vegans and vegans alike, it can be turned into the ideal sauce for a pasta or vegetable bake. It also makes a brilliant addition to a fish or can be spooned over steamed cauliflower, for example. So, as you can see, there are lots of options.
The method is really simple and best shown in my little instruction video – I hope your find this useful. If you do like the video, why not subscribe to my YouTube channel whilst you are there.
And below is the recipe for you to refer to whenever you need.
2 tbsp oil or butter (dairy or vegan)
1 heaped tbsp flour (any type although coconut flour is not suitable)
250ml milk (plant milk for vegans)
Salt to taste
Optional: ground nutmeg
- Heat the oil or butter in a pan.
- Add the flour and stir continuously- the mix will get thick quite quickly.
- Add a little milk and whisk to get a smooth sauce without lumps. Keep adding milk and stirring before adding some salt and nutmeg (if using).
- You can add more milk if the sauce is too thick.
- For a cheese sauce, add grated cheese (non-vegan option) or nutritional yeast (vegan) – great for a pasta or veggie bake.
Or add parsley to make a parsley sauce which goes well with fish or steamed green beans.